Please login or register now. Registration takes seconds before you can join in. Some features such as our chat box aren't viewable to guests.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Did anyone watch this?

I watched the last 10 minutes and it made me laugh.

What actually is a gypsy?

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

2 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

I didn't watch it myself but will probably give it a watch online.

A gypsy is basically a traveller. Nomads, who own no land really and travel around the country. That's what it means in Ireland and the British Isles anway.

View user profile

3 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Setanta wrote:I didn't watch it myself but will probably give it a watch online.

A gypsy is basically a traveller. Nomads, who own no land really and travel around the country. That's what it means in Ireland and the British Isles anway.

They must have money then James, right?

On this programme last night a couple were getting married and had limousines and a proper wedding with reception.

Where do they stay?

They certainly didn't look like tramps.

Their 'religion' if I can call it that, was certainly different.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

4 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Generally they have mobile homes. But you can't make generalizations about them. Some have money and some don't, but I'm not entirely sure how they gain wealth. It's like a totally different culture of people.

View user profile

5 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Taken from the news feed at the side:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tvguide/view/172503/Big-Fat-Gypsy-Wedding/

18th January 2011
By Channel 4, 9pm



FOLLOWING on from a one-off Cutting Edge documentary that went out last year, Channel 4’s new series BIG FAT GYPSY WEDDINGS (9pm) takes an in-depth look at the rituals and traditions of Britain’s gypsy and traveller community.


It’s deliberately designed to make eye-opening and occasionally jaw-dropping telly for outsiders (the typical wedding dress is so huge, it looks like the sort of outfit for which you’d need to apply for planning permission), and to highlight travellers’ controversial attitudes towards education, family and the roles of men and women.

It starts with a look at the pre-marriage milestones in a typical gypsy girl’s life.

They can say that again. The dress this girl had on was huge. She fell over when she tried to sit down and she couldn't even sit down without difficulty.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

6 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Setanta wrote:Generally they have mobile homes. But you can't make generalizations about them. Some have money and some don't, but I'm not entirely sure how they gain wealth. It's like a totally different culture of people.

That makes sense as they had one of them.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

7 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Well, they get some social welfare payments here and they don't have any mortgages or stuff like that so yeah, they'd have some money but they'te quite an isolated people here, being subject to alot of discrimination, sometimes justiable in certain cases but other times just blatant racism or hatred. Always been a tricky issue in Ireland.

View user profile

8 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Setanta wrote:Well, they get some social welfare payments here and they don't have any mortgages or stuff like that so yeah, they'd have some money but they'te quite an isolated people here, being subject to alot of discrimination, sometimes justiable in certain cases but other times just blatant racism or hatred. Always been a tricky issue in Ireland.

Why justifiable? In what way?

I don't think we should discriminate because they decide to live different as long as they DON'T cause any harm to others.

I put in social welfare into Google and Ireland came up at the top under 'social protection'. Is it really bad out there? http://images.digita

I could see it causing problems if they park their mobile homes up on the street though.

Not sure on the religion so it's hard to comment.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

9 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Well, just because some people believe that they can be a right nuisance and have no regard for the countrysid. Others say that quite a number of them are involved in burglaries. Stuff like that.

View user profile

10 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Setanta wrote:Well, just because some people believe that they can be a right nuisance and have no regard for the countrysid. Others say that quite a number of them are involved in burglaries. Stuff like that.

In that case it is understandable.

I live in the countryside too.

Like I say, I don't even really know what a gypsy is.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

11 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 am

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
http://images.digita

That dress!

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

12 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 am

I prefer four weddings http://images.digita

View user profile

13 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Lee

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Thomas wrote:

That dress!

Jesus Christ!!

Watched this for the first time last night.. never in my life have I seen anything so hideous!

Feel sorry for them all though http://images.digita


_________________
View user profile

14 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:36 am

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Lee wrote:
Thomas wrote:

That dress!

Jesus Christ!!

Watched this for the first time last night.. never in my life have I seen anything so hideous!

Feel sorry for them all though http://images.digita

I know.

The little girls dancing like Prossies in their ridiculous outfits.

Those marks on the little girl too because she had worn that dress.

I feel sorry for them, but some of them clearly have money yet choose to live like that then kick off when the council knock down their caravans.

At the end of the day, they're breaking the law. Why should they avoid taxes and etc, but expect to live illegally?

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

15 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 am

Thomas

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
What shocks me even more is how it seems acceptable for the males to manhandle the females and it be OK.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

16 Re: Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 am

I watched about 2 mins the other night and got bored. Is it any good?

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum