Please login or register now. Registration takes seconds before you can join in. Some features such as our chat box aren't viewable to guests.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crime/Thriller novels...

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Crime/Thriller novels... on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Anyone enjoy them? Prior to this week I've had an insatiable appetite for them, reading 2 or 3 a week. Some or very formulaic once you've grown accustomed to the author's style and narrative structure and, although they're still entertaining, I'm always on the look out for writer's of real class. Still think this genre contains some excellent, insightful writers.
Of the ones I've read recently, Val McDermid and Giles Blunt have really impressed me. They're written very well and still contain the suspense and enjoyment that you would expect but, more importantly to me, they deal with far more than your usual run-of-the-mill authors: they're marvellously attuned to people and their troubles - I suppose you could call it empathy- and this imbues all their prose with a richness that sometimes isn't found quite enough in this genre. So yeah, quality writers.

View user profile

2 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Are even... hate the way you can't edit on this forum.... typed that way too fast!

View user profile

3 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Oh, and I have to mention Henning Mankell and Stieg Larrson. Brilliant authors. That doesn't mean that I don't forget about my favs though..... Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben, PD James - and she's still alive... one of the greats.
As for the dead greats.... my God, I could go on for ages.

View user profile

4 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Thomas

Administrator
Administrator
I don't read that much, but I loved 'The Island' by Richard Laymon.

View user profile http://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

5 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 am

That's a horror novel you eejit. But yeah, is it any good?

View user profile

6 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:29 am

Well actually, I'm reading the back of it and yeah, it's basically a horror/thriller so yeah, it applies to this. Looks interesting.

View user profile

7 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 am

The wife is into the crime/thriller stuff - personally I'm Horror / Fantasy / Sci-Fi fan.
King, Herbert, Koontz, Barker, Stephen Laws, Asimov, Lovecraft, Wyndham,Tolkein, Adams, Clarke, Sagan, Doyle, Burroughs, Heinlein, Weel, Bradbury, Crichton, Poe, Stoker, Mary Shelley, PJ Farmer, Banks, Donaldson, Laymon, Straub, Campbell, Bloch, Cook, Gallagher......
Sorry, I.m waffling - was just copying the names off the bookshelf beside me.....

I've read a couple of the wife's murder novels by Patricia Cornwell - she's not bad, though she does concentrate on the autopsy side of things, which kinda fits with my interest in horror.

View user profile

8 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:09 am

I've read 'The Island' within the last coupla years....
It's a 'fun' read - though very predictable and cliched to anyone who's read much horror.
One of those books where, once you get into it, you don't want to put down, keeps you wanting to read more.
Plenty of sex and violence, what they call 'perve-horror' - Laymon does sell A LOT, though personally I prefer Shaun Hutson or Stephen Laws when it comes to this 'graphic' style.

View user profile

9 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

I haven't read enough books in that particular genre Carlos, apart from Koontz whose pretty good. Who would you recommend to start off with?

View user profile

10 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 am

Setanta wrote:...... apart from Koontz whose pretty good. Who would you recommend to start off with?
If you're looking to get 'into' the genre, along with Koontz, Stephen King and James Herbert are probably the safest bets as 'starters' - both have big back-catalogues of popular 'hits'.

Stephen King - personally I prefer his earlier stuff - he did get a bit self-indulgent for a while, but then later stuff seems to be getting back to form. A lot of his stuff has been turned into films and TV adaptations, but the books are much better IMHO - go far deeper - the films only cover the basic storylines.
'The Shining', 'Dead Zone', 'The Stand', 'Christine', 'Pet Sematary', etc - then lately, I enjoyed 'Under the Dome', and 'Cell' in particular.
The 'Dark Tower' series is very good in parts - a couple of the books are transitional, and could have been skipped IMHO - Song of Susannah (pt.6) in particular - pretty much nowt happens in 400-odd pages a lot of waffle that could've been condensed and incorprated into the books either side of it. 'Wolves of the Calla' (pt.5) is the gem in the series IMHO - but you really need to read 'em all in sequence, and stick through the self-indulgent bits, so that you understand fully what's going on in the later parts.

James Herbert - Not as prolific as King or Koontz - but some good stuff that's still easily available.
The Rats trilogy is what first got me into reading horror when I was 12 or so ('The Rats' - 'Lair' - and 'Domain') Well - 'The Rats' at the time - 'Lair' and 'Domain' came later.
Of his later books ('90 onwards) - '48' is probably the pick - I like post-apocalyptic stuff Very Happy - It's a little different in that it's set in the past - 1948 - but definitely a post-apocalyptic theme - What if the Nazis had released germ warfare when they got desperate in '45, but it went out of control and also decimated them?

Depending what you're after......
King goes into more depth, Herbert is a little quicker getting to the point, Koontz is somewhere between the two.
Shaun Hutson is another who is straight to the point - 'Erebus' was scarily close to what happened with Mad-Cow-Disease (though far more extreme in the results) - and was written a good 10 years BEFORE the big outbreak in the 90s
If you want a bit of 'cyber-punk', Neal Stephenson is very good ('Snow Crash' - recommended)
Isaac Asimov is another fave - His robot stuff is almost legendary, with his 3 laws of robotics being almost a 'standard' to which future robotics would have to conform. Though if you read several of his robot stories back-to-back it can get a bit 'samey' - most of the stories centre on some sort of dilemma for a robot, and how it logically interprets the 3 laws.
Clive Barker is excellent if you're looking to go down the 'fantasy' route - very talented guy, as well as the books and films, he does most of his own fantasy artwork too - There's the 'Books of Blood' for some great short-stories - the 'Hellraiser' stuff - and a fair bit of magical 'under-world' stuff similar to (but more modern than) Tolkein
Stephen Donaldson, if you want space-travel 'frontier' type books (the 'Gap' series) - sort of cowboys in space, mixed with a 'Star-Wars', but without Darth Vader and co.
Older 'classic' stuff... HP Lovecraft - (The colour out of Space - Thing on the Doorstep - Rats in the Walls - and the whole 'C'Thulu' mythology) ....
And of course Tolkein - but I think most people have at least read 'the Hobbit'.....

....and - I'm waffling again......
Plenty there to choose from though - all depends what sort of thing you're interested in.

View user profile

11 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:23 am

Just realised - I've forgotten to mention two of my absolute favourites....
Terry Pratchett - the 'Discworld' books are fantastic.
Douglas Adams - The 'HitchHikers' stuff obviously, also loved the 'Dirk Gently' books (the recent TV adaptation of DG was woeful compared to the books)

View user profile

12 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:09 pm

I've read some of King's and Herbert's.... fecking great stuff. And as for Asimov...I read him as a kid. But now, talking about newer stuff, and not fecking Pratchett, who, for some reason I've never warmed too. Must give him another go.

View user profile

13 Re: Crime/Thriller novels... on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:12 pm

I'll give Donaldson a go. Sounds good.
And do you want one of the greatest novels of the last 20 or 30 years? - if you like sci fi and sword and fantasy of course! Raymond E. Feist.... Magician. It's one of my fav books ever. Trust me!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum