Please login or register now. Registration takes seconds before you can join in. Some features such as our chat box aren't viewable to guests.
Please login or register now. Registration takes seconds before you can join in. Some features such as our chat box aren't viewable to guests.
Similar topics

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the last film you watched?

+9
Missy_X
jdqueen
Lee
Sawyer
Stacey
MTVN
Niall.
Thomas
Setanta
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1What's the last film you watched? Empty What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Setanta

I watched Sherlock Holmes for the 2nd time. Just great fun and a refreshing new way at shaping the myth. Ok, it's not awe inspiring but it's so bloody watchable and actually does have elements from the stories, if a little exagerrated. He was an acomplished fighter for instance, and I loved how the film displayed his combat skills as well as his ability to use he reasoning and intellect before executing his moves. All in all a great piece of entertainment, helped in no small spart by Downey's presence. He made Ironman hugely enjoyable too.

2What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

I watched Shutter Island on Thursday night and I must say, it started off looking to be a great film but it lost the plot.

I think the writers got a bit too clever and it just ruined it. I am not a great one at understanding difficult plots, but the flashbacks and complete u-turn just didn't work for me. Having said that, Leonardo DiCaprio's acting was fantastic.

https://chatties.forumotion.co.uk

3What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Setanta

Admin wrote:I watched Shutter Island on Thursday night and I must say, it started off looking to be a great film but it lost the plot.

I think the writers got a bit too clever and it just ruined it. I am not a great one at understanding difficult plots, but the flashbacks and complete u-turn just didn't work for me. Having said that, Leonardo DiCaprio's acting was fantastic.

Terrible film. Scorsese tried to be clever and utilise old tricks borrowed from the likes of Hitchcock but he's not Hitchcock. Very poor film, which is a pity because it looks so great.

4What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

Setanta wrote:
Admin wrote:I watched Shutter Island on Thursday night and I must say, it started off looking to be a great film but it lost the plot.

Terrible film. Scorsese tried to be clever and utilise old tricks borrowed from the likes of Hitchcock but he's not Hitchcock. Very poor film, which is a pity because it looks so great.

I feel exactly the same as you.

I thought it started off excellent. I was really getting into it and the plot was brilliant, but then it went to flashbacks and totally lost it.

I didn't understand what the hell was going on.

Shame really as it had the potential to be an amazing film and for the first 20 minutes I thought it would be.

5What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Setanta

I've watched so many of late....

The Odd Couple.

An absolutely nothing film but more of a classic for it. Lemmon and Matthau as friends who, after finding themselves estranged from their wives, decide to stay with one another in an appartment to help one another cope while -hopefully - their own difficulties sort themselves out. Unfortunately, or fortunately for us, their difficulties only increase as they begin to annoy each other time and again.

Just a beautiful little film that echoes everything I feel about movies - you get a terrific script and wonderful actors who have a natural chemistry with one another and the director can't help but make a great movie. Ok, it feels stagey but I don't care: pure class.

6What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Setanta

Admin wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I feel exactly the same as you.

I thought it started off excellent. I was really getting into it and the plot was brilliant, but then it went to flashbacks and totally lost it.

I didn't understand what the hell was going on.

Shame really as it had the potential to be an amazing film and for the first 20 minutes I thought it would be.

It's great to look at but that's about it. Just a tired and boring piece of filmmaking.

7What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

James have you seen 'Kidnapped'?

It is a series and has 13 episodes, but it is like one long film.

Really good plot with many turns. You're trying to figure out the answers in your head to the plot, and it is only until the last minute that it takes a u-turn.

Very good.

8What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Setanta

Admin wrote:James have you seen 'Kidnapped'?

Really good plot with many turns. You're trying to figure out the answers in your head to the plot, and it is only until the last minute that it takes a u-turn.

Very good.

Is it based on the book? If it is I'll watch defo.

9What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

Setanta wrote:

Very good.

Yes!

I think so.

The basic plot is the Kidnapping of the boy. Ring any bells?

Definitely worth seeing James, personally, I thought it was excellent.

10What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Niall.

Niall.

I watched Wall-E. My favourite Pixar film. http://www.thisisbig

11What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:23 am

MTVN

Star Wars Episode I was just on ITV http://images.digita

Probably the worst of all of them but still a good film

12What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:39 am

Stacey

Stacey

Marley And Me

It was ages ago though D:

13What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 am

Sawyer

Sawyer

Went the pictures to see the new Meet the Parents the other week. Funny film, probably on par with the first 2

14What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 am

Niall.

Niall.

Sawyer wrote:Went the pictures to see the new Meet the Parents the other week. Funny film, probably on par with the first 2

I saw that, its brilliant :')

15What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Setanta

Just after watching Serenity again. Such a brilliant sci-fi/action adventure and the more I watch it the more I realise that the Star Wars franchise badly needs a writer of Whedon's talents to inject it with some humour and heart.

16What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Setanta

Admin wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Very good.

Yes!

I think so.

Well you can't go wrong with a great story like that. Will have to find it online.

17What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Setanta

The Fighter.

Now, I've always been a sucker for a good sports flick but this is so much more than that, highlighting more closely the battles that a fighter has off the canvas floor, struggling to cope with family, friends and ultimately loyalty. What could have been a generic, run-of-the-mill storyline is elevated to something very special because of the vitality of it's direction, superb performances from everyone involved and a freshness and realism that probably stems from the fact that's it's based on a true story.

I cannot recommend this film enough, and it's not just because I'm a huge fan of David O'Russells films. It's actually quite a departure for the man himself since his usual style of filmmaking is highly stylised and idiosyncratic - this one is more about emotion and ensemble acting, but O Russell breathes so much life into what could have been a formulaic, Rocky style wannabe.

I've never been a huge fan of Wahlberg but O Russell seems to always get the best out of him, and here we see him quietly anchoring the film. It could be down to the fact that he had always been wanting to tell this story and it's based in an area close to where he grew up, but yeah, here's a limited enough actor who always has had a likeability on screen.... basically a star and he's very good in it.

But if we're going to talk about masterclasses in acting I have to mention Christian Bale, who is absolutely stunning in the part of Wahlberg's brother, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't walk away with Best Supporting Actor at the next Oscars. I've never liked him as a person : he's the polar opposite to Wahlberg, a colder and more unfriendly presence on the screen, but what an actor. The contrast between the two is wonderful to watch.

So basically yeah, I loved it. It's probably down to emotional investment in the characters and I was there from the start.

18What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Setanta

Oh, and I forgot to mention Melissa Leo as their mother in the flick. I'd never heard of her before now, but she has to receive an Oscar nomination. Amazing stuff.

19What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Sherlock Holmes.. Was quite good and for the first time ever enjoyed Robert Downey Jr!
A bit of a strange take on Holmes I thought, but an ok film nevertheless!

20What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

Sawyer wrote:Went the pictures to see the new Meet the Parents the other week. Funny film, probably on par with the first 2

Meet The Parents?

Is there two others then?

I know there's a Meet The Fuckers.

21What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

Setanta wrote:
Admin wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Very good.

Yes!

I think so.

Well you can't go wrong with a great story like that. Will have to find it online.

Yes, definitely!

I've been watching it with my parents. We're on Day 6 at the minute so second time I'm watching it.

I don't know why, but I find a film makes so much sense the second time around. Do you know what I mean?

I think it's because if you've never seen a film before you really concentrate, but then when you come to watch it again
you can relax and feel like you get the jest of the film. I even find that I pick up stuff I never got the first time of watching it.

Makes a film so much better. You can watch it to start with an think it is an OK film, but if you watch it again it makes you appreciate it
even more. It grows on you, if you know what I mean?

22What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 am

Setanta

Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Admin wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Very good.

Yes!

I think so.

Yes, definitely!

I've been watching it with my parents. We're on Day 6 at the minute so second time I'm watching it.

I don't know why, but I find a film makes so much sense the second time around. Do you know what I mean?

I think it's because if you've never seen a film before you really concentrate, but then when you come to watch it again
you can relax and feel like you get the jest of the film. I even find that I pick up stuff I never got the first time of watching it.

Makes a film so much better. You can watch it to start with an think it is an OK film, but if you watch it again it makes you appreciate it
even more. It grows on you, if you know what I mean?

You adapt a well loved work of action adventure fiction properly and you get a great programme. I'll have to have a look for it.

23What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

I watched Inception last night.. Was too tired though and after about 10 minutes of some serious wtf's, I fell asleep.. Will give it another go when I am a bit more awake!

Watched Crazy Heart the night before and loved it! Quite touching,and I would have liked a few aspects of the story developed more, but still a good film. (I have decided however,that I'm not keen on Maggie Gylenhall. She isn't very likeable somehow?)

24What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Thomas

Thomas
Administrator
Administrator

Lee wrote:I watched Inception last night.. Was too tired though and after about 10 minutes of some serious wtf's, I fell asleep.. Will give it another go when I am a bit more awake!

Watched Crazy Heart the night before and loved it! Quite touching,and I would have liked a few aspects of the story developed more, but still a good film. (I have decided however,that I'm not keen on Maggie Gylenhall. She isn't very likeable somehow?)

I give up and fall asleep if a film doesn't drag me in so maybe I'll give Inception a miss.

25What's the last film you watched? Empty Re: What's the last film you watched? Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Thomas wrote:
Lee wrote:I watched Inception last night.. Was too tired though and after about 10 minutes of some serious wtf's, I fell asleep.. Will give it another go when I am a bit more awake!

I give up and fall asleep if a film doesn't drag me in so maybe I'll give Inception a miss.

I'm usually the same Thomas, but I don't know anybody who says Inception is shite, so I am definitely going to give it another go. Things may become clearer after the first 10 mins (well I hope so! haha)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum